September 15th, 2018 is the deadline for organizations registered under ISO 14001:2004 to transition to the new standard, ISO 14001:2015.
Organizations who wish to maintain their certification must transition to the new standard since ISO 14001:2004 certificates will no longer be valid.
The 2015 revisions of ISO 14001 introduce a number of changes including:
- A risk-based approach to strategic issues that can affect the EMS intended outcome
- Increase leadership engagement
- Comprehensive communication process with equal emphasis on external and internal communications
- Operational controls addressing environmental objectives, change management, product lifecycle and outsourced processes
- Improving environmental performance
If you have integrated management systems for ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 (the new international standard for occupational health and safety management systems), you will need to consider your transition plans carefully due to the different publications dates.
Need assistance transitioning your Environmental Management System to ISO 14001:2015 or developing a Health & Safety Management system under ISO 45001?