The PA DEP is making the first substantial revisions since 2002 to the “Land Recycling Program Technical Guidance Manual.” The final draft, published on December 16, 2018, is open for a 90-day comment period, until March 16, 2019.
These revisions to the Land Recycling Technical Guidance Manual include:
- The addition of vapor intrusion
- Updates to the groundwater monitoring guidance
- Reorganization to improve clarity and flow of the document
- Clarification of compliance concepts
Proposed changes to the Statewide Health Standards for Chapter 250 rulemaking are expected to be made public in the second quarter of 2019. Those major changes include:
- The groundwater ingestion rate will change from 2L/day to 3L/day for adults older than 21 years. This change will cause ingestion-based values to decrease.
- The Integral Exposure Uptake Biokinetic (IEUBK) model and the Adult Lead Methodology (ALM) were used to calculate MSCs for residential and nonresidential lead exposure, respectively.
- Changes the definition of a volatile in 250.1. Current definition results in the exclusion of naphthalene as well as several other semi- volatiles that are included in the new vapor intrusion (VI) guidance.
- Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) were added to the tables.
You can review a draft of revisions to the Land Recycling Technical Guidance here: http://www.depgreenport.state.pa.us/elibrary/GetFolder?FolderID=4589
If you have any questions about these regulatory changes or to discuss your brownfield site: